- 1 Best Meditation Chair
- 2 Runner-Up Best Meditation Seat
- 3 Runner-Up: Best Meditation Chair for Bad Backs
- 4 Meditation Chair Buyer’s Tips
- 5 Meditation Chair Reviews
- 5.1 1. IKUKO by Bluecony Wooden Kneeling Ergonomic Meditation Bench
- 5.2 2. Alexia Meditation Seat Ergonomically Correct for The Human Physiology Zen Yoga Ergonomic Chair
- 5.3 3. bonVIVO Easy III Padded Floor Chair With Integrated Handle
- 5.4 4. Friends Of Meditation Extra Large Relaxing Buddha Meditation and Yoga Chair
- 5.5 5. Meditation Designs Meditation Bench
- 6 Conclusion: Meditation Seat
Best Meditation Chair
After an extensive look at several meditation chairs, I’ve found that the best meditation chair is the Alexia Meditation Seat. It’s a large molded chair with a metal structure covered in either cloth or vegan leather.
It’s extremely expensive and is priced differently depending on the materials chosen, but it is the best meditation chair on the market assuming you won’t be regularly moving the chair.
The Alexia is known for helping to relieve lower back pain, and it’s great for meditators of all shapes and sizes. It is bulky and a bit heavy, and doesn’t fold up for travel. But it is the best chair for getting you into the right posture for an extended sit.
For further details on the Alexia, see the Product Reviews section below.
Runner-Up Best Meditation Seat
The runner-up pick among meditation chairs is the Bluecony Original IKUKO Travel Meditation Chair. It’s a beautiful kneeling bench-style meditation chair that is a great model to check out.
This product is made with a durable cherry wood and can be dismantled for easy transport. It has a unique curve which helps to improve your posture when sitting on it, and it looks beautiful.
Runner-Up: Best Meditation Chair for Bad Backs
The bonVIVO Easy III Floor Meditation Chair is a great choice for those who are meditating on a budget as well as for those with bad backs. Not only does it come in relaxing color choices, but it’s lightweight and can help to significantly reduce back pain and improve your posture thanks to its careful design.
It also folds quite easily for storage, which is a nice plus.
For the details on the bonVIVO, see the Product Reviews section below.
Meditation Chair Buyer’s Tips
Meditation can be an extremely rewarding pastime and is becoming increasingly popular in the west.
Along with the steady rise of yoga and meditation has been the invasion of the smartphone and its attention-grabbing powers. Reducing the allure of our phones and online lives, as well as the complexity of our busy lives can be extremely difficult. Many find that meditation in its various forms can help fight against this tendency and bring real-life improvements.
Whether you’re meditating to reduce anxiety or to provide better concentration or mindfulness, a regular practice is important, as is having a quiet place to sit and shift the focus inward for a while. Whether you’re aiming to settle your mind or to reach stream entry, you’ll need a comfortable meditation spot.
Zafu Zabuton vs. Meditation Chair
But some find that they need additional support or additional posture functions that don’t come from bolsters or zafu zabuton sets. Enter the meditation chair. These chairs come in a variety of designs, from benches where the user kneels with support to full chairs that essentially mold the body into shape.
What to Look for When Shopping for a Meditation Chair
There are a few important things to look for when shopping for a meditation chair. Below are some of these key things to consider to ensure you buy the right chair for your needs.
Meditation Chairs and Back Support
One of the most vital things to look for in a meditation chair is how it helps provide back support. Some chairs only work with the lower back while others try to keep your entire back straight.
Various designs provide support in different ways, some not always obvious. I’ll try to hit on how these designs work while reviewing each chair.
General Comfort During Long Sits
While these chairs aren’t going to be filled with plush foam so you sink down into it, it’s still important that you find a chair that is comfortable to sit in. Ideally, a chair should provide firmness while also giving comfort. This way, your body won’t ache after sitting on it and your back will feel better aligned.
Another good thing to consider, especially if you want to take your meditation chair with you to different places like a yoga class, meditation retreat, etc, is how easy it is to transport around.
Depending on your practice, you will value portability more or less. Consider your current practice, and also how you see your practice evolving over time.
Some chairs have weight limits and are designed in such a way that they shouldn’t be heavily overloaded. Where appropriate, I’ll mention the weight limits of these chairs.
Meditation Chair Reviews
Meditating can help to provide peace and tranquility in one’s life and can bring countless rewards small and large. As meditators get more and more deeply involved in meditation, doing longer and longer sessions, posture and comfort become increasingly important.
Poor posture and awkward seating can make concentration and focus difficult, and uncomfortable sensations can be incredibly distracting. These will harm your meditation quality over time.
I’ve put together this article to look in depth at five great options for meditation seats. I’ll start with a comparison table to get oriented, and then move into individual reviews before concluding with my favorites.
1. IKUKO by Bluecony Wooden Kneeling Ergonomic Meditation Bench
Key Points at a Glance
- It’s made out of a dark brown cherry wood.
- It has a unique curve to help support your back.
- It comes with a cotton bag you can use to transport it around with.
- You can dismantle it for easy storage.
- It can hold over 200 lbs.
- It measures 16.5 x 7.9 x 7.1 inches.
- It weighs 3.7 lbs.
The Bluecony Original IKUKO Travel Meditation Chair is constructed out of a beautiful dark Cherrywood. It features a stunning curved bench which not only looks nice but helps to better support your back when sitting.
It can end up working to help improve your posture and relieve back pain. To sit on the chair, it has a special angle between the thigh and torso which will end up having you sit in a kneeling position. Most of your weight will be on your bottom and on the seat of the bench, with little weight on your knees and legs. Due to this design, your legs typically don’t fall asleep, even in extended sessions.
While comfortable for many, the IKUKO may be a little difficult to do for those who are very tall or for those with exceptionally big thighs and calves.
This model can hold over 200 lbs. and can be easily dismantled so you can transport it around when needed.
To help you carry it around, this product comes with a soft cotton bag.
The Bottom Line
The IKUKO chair is a beautiful meditation bench with a simple design that provides solid support and comfort even for long meditations. It’s quite lightweight and is highly portable, making it an excellent choice for those who move around a lot.
It doesn’t have the comfort level and posture magic of the Alexia reviewed below, but it’s much lighter and (perhaps more importantly) much less expensive. The IKUKO is the runner-up choice among best meditation chairs.
- ERGONOMIC BENCH - The simplest kneeling bench to...
- COMFORTABLE MEDITATION - Designed and handmade in...
- BACK AND BODY SOLUTION - The open sitting angle...
- TRAVEL VERSION - The Original IKUKO bench can be...
- POSTURE ALIGNMENT - This relaxing bench is a...
2. Alexia Meditation Seat Ergonomically Correct for The Human Physiology Zen Yoga Ergonomic Chair
Key Points at a Glance
- It’s made out of vegan leather.
- It comes in color options like dark gray, teal, white, and orange.
- There is cushioning in the middle to help provide comfort.
- It has a strong metal structure inside to help it keep its shape.
- Its design can help with lower back problems.
- It measures 26 x 32 x 12 inches.
- It weighs 15 lbs.
This meditation chair model by Alexia is an ergonomic model is rather unique, in that it is essentially molded to practically force the body into a good-posture lotus-like position without putting any pressure on specific points on the body.
The way the Alexia chair is designed makes this possible. It is constructed of a metal frame covered in padding and wrapped in a variety of fabrics, vegan leathers, and some genuine leathers.
These chairs are beautiful and do a great job of essentially forcing the body into good posture, making meditation quite comfortable even for those who are fairly tall. Despite the fact that there is no actual back support on this chair, the position you sit in while in the chair keeps your back straight, and the end result is pretty good back support, especially of the lower back.
If you’re particularly tall, you may find that your feet stick out a bit on the bottom, but it should still fit your body pretty well, unless you’re over say 6’6″.
The big downside of this chair is that it is pretty heavy and awkward to move around. It’s almost 20 lbs, and is fairly bulky. It’s certainly not ideal to bring to, say, a regular yoga or meditation class. It is ideal for a home meditation space where it will spend most of its time.
The cover material cannot be removed, so spot-cleaning is necessary. For the cloth version, the manufacturer recommends vacuuming, and many use yoga mat cleaners on it.
Many find that the leather options are a bit easier to keep clean than the fabric ones over time. Of course, these are more expensive.
The Bottom Line
The Alexia meditation chair is magnificent because of the way it molds your body to fit the chair. The posture you find yourself in is comfortable for long positions and is quite stable, which is nice for long sits.
This meditation chair is ideal for those who are looking for to use their seat for long meditation sessions, and for those who don’t plan on moving their seat around a whole lot. It is the best meditation chair for a meditation space in the home.
- Body Supports: Lower Back Column - Ischial...
- Seat Support: Internal Metallic Skeleton...
- Cushion: Neoprene foam - Total weight - Aprox....
- Seat Dimensions: L 26" x W 32" 1/2 x H 11" ½.
- Cleaning and Product Caring: Only Leather Cleaning...
3. bonVIVO Easy III Padded Floor Chair With Integrated Handle
Key Points at a Glance
- This model comes in blue/beige or beige/cognac color options.
- It has a strong backrest which can help with your posture.
- It features PE foam inside which conforms to your body.
- It can hold up to 220 lbs.
- It’s lightweight and easy to clean.
- The model has a handle at the top to help you transport it around.
- It measures 24 x 18.7 x 6 inches
- It weighs 6.5 lbs.
The bonVIVO Easy III Floor Meditation Chair is a sleek model that comes in three different color options. This meditation chair is constructed out of PE foam which is not only comfortable to sit on but conforms to your body when you sit on it. This way, you’ll have plenty of support. The chair also features a tall backrest that is angled at about 100′, so it’s pretty close to a straight back. This chair has great back support, but keep in mind that the idea is for the back to provide gentle support to an upright meditation posture, as opposed to providing full support like, say, a dining room chair might.
The combination of the practically straight back with the comfortable cushion makes this a surprisingly comfortable chair for those with back issues. It is a great chair for those with upper back problems due to the high back, and it is capable of supporting up to 220 lbs.
bonVIVO’s Easy III meditation seat is lightweight and very easy to clean thanks to its stain-resistant fabric covering. When you’re done using it, you can fold it up and carry it around with the built-in handle at the top. It’s a great option to take to meditation and yoga classes, retreats, and the like. Its portability is a huge plus.
The Bottom Line
The bonVIVO Easy III is an excellent portable meditation chair that provides great back support. The position you’re seated in isn’t quite as ideal as the Alexia or the IKIKO, but it is quite comfortable, and the back support may be quite important for many meditators. It’s priced excellently, and is a great budget choice, as well as a great choice for those with back issues.
- COMFORT AND STYLE BY BONVIVO: We understand the...
- CONVENIENT TECHNOLOGY AND MATERIALS: The backrest...
- UNIVERSAL APPLICATIONS: Whether as a lounge,...
- EASY TRANSPORT AND ADAPTABILITY: The floor chair...
- DESIGN: Available in two colors: blue and beige....
4. Friends Of Meditation Extra Large Relaxing Buddha Meditation and Yoga Chair
Key Points at a Glance
- It comes in three color options.
- It features a soft foam cushion.
- It is extra-large.
- It comes with a meditation block.
- There is a detachable curved back.
- It comes with a water-resistant carrying bag.
- It measures 24 x 22 x 4 inches.
- It weighs 12 lbs.
The Friends of Meditation chair is an extremely high-quality chair that blends a zafu zabuton style with a meditation chair in the bonVIVO style. The padded meditation block and cushion are removable and adjustable, so you can choose the amount of support you need. You can use the chair in a variety of ways and can sit in multiple positions comfortably for long periods of time.
The curved foam cushion back-rest can be buckled to the chair at any height, so you can dial in the right support in the right areas. Use the meditation bolster or not, depending on your needs and positioning.
The chair is pretty bulky, and though it folds up, it’s still quite sizable. It’s pretty easy to set up and take down, and has a carry bag fitted to easily transport the chair. But it’s sizable, and many of the other options on our list are better for quick transport to yoga and meditation classes and the like.
The Bottom Line
If you suffer from extreme back pain, this is an excellent option for a meditation chair. The adjustable lumbar-style pillow is welcome, as is the meditation bolster if you need it.
This chair is on the expensive side compared to the somewhat similar design of the bonVIVO. But it is well made, high-quality, and will help you focus more on meditation and less on positioning.
- Designed by Swami Dhyan Unmesh ( Registered Yoga...
- Rated No 1 Meditation Chair by Wiki Ezvid (USA)...
- Helpful for people with back pain. Avoids numbness...
- Fits every one below 6 feet 2 inches. Seat size :...
- Complimentary bag and fully foldable. Net weight :...
5. Meditation Designs Meditation Bench
Key Points at a Glance
- It comes in royal blue, natural, burgundy, and Zen black color choices.
- There are round pedestal legs on the bottom.
- It’s an affordable option.
- It’s built for those who are 5 ft. 11 inches or smaller.
- It’s constructed out of a strong acacia wood.
- It has a cushioned seat.
- It measures 18 x 8 inches.
- It weighs 3 lbs.
The Meditation Designs Meditation Bench is the most affordable option on our list, and is a pretty comfortable meditation bench in the vein of the IKUKO bench discussed above.
This bench is quite lightweight and is constructed of acacia wood covered in fabric. The materials quality and overall look are certainly a step down from the IKUKO, but the comfort is pretty similar as long as you’re under 6′ tall.
The fact that the construction isn’t quite as nice as the IKUKO, and that this chair isn’t appropriate for taller people resulted in this chair getting beaten out by the BonVIVO as a budget pick.
This bench is not foldable and does not collapse for easy storage and transport. Still, it’s quite small and lightweight, so it’s easier to move around than many of the other meditation seats on this list!
The Bottom Line
If you’re looking for a simple and affordable meditation chair, definitely check this one out. It’s easy to use and provides strong support for your back when you sit on it. However, it’s a very simple model so it’s not the most durable, and it isn’t ideal for those on the tall side.
- Best for practioners up to 5' 11" in height....
- Handmade from sustainable acacia wood. Cushioned...
- Rounded and angled pedestal legs that are SECURELY...
- THIS IS NOT FOLDABLE. We find foldable benches are...
- Finally, a solid meditation bench that is real...
Conclusion: Meditation Seat
Searching for the perfect meditation chair can be a challenge, but not anymore. With the tips and products mentioned above, you can be sure that your search won’t be a hassle.
The top pick, the Alexia Meditation Seat line, is an excellent choice for those who plan on sitting for long periods, and who don’t plan on moving their meditation chair around a whole lot. With a ton of color and material options, including beautiful vegan leather, this meditation chair is a fantastic option for most. It’s just expensive!
The runner-up Bluecony Original IKUKO Travel Meditation Chair is a great pick thanks to its beautiful, simple, durable design and its ability to be dismantled for easy transport. It’s a great choice for those who love to meditate on the go.
For those on a budget and for those who have particularly bad backs, the bonVIVO chair is a fantastic choice. It’s quite attractive, provides great back support, and folds up compactly for easy movement and portability.
All of these models each come with their own unique features, so you’ll have plenty to choose from depending on your needs. With your meditation chair, you can be sure that your meditation sessions will not only be more fulfilling, but comfortable as well.